I have noticed that I do not have a very consistent life. My pendulum swings way out to the left and then all the way to the right, until I am finally settled into the middle only for something else to give it a big push again. I was getting settled before we moved. I cooked on Sunday's so I wouldn't eat take out, walked to the grocery store so I wouldn't cause pollution, and started using as many sustainable products as possible. Just when I thought I had my new life down, we up rooted all my plans and headed for our new place, giving my pendulum a big push.
It has been one week since I have moved into my new apartment. Filled with all of the good intentions in the world I packed up my baking soda and bread tin and set off to live my E Standard Life. Funny thing about setting a standard for yourself, all the sudden it is extremely enticing to break the rules. Like a adolescent teenager, I found I was purposely putting myself in all of the wrong situations. Mowing on taco bell and and blasting my AC, I was certainly not the poster child for sustainability. to top it all off, our oven broke (no home cooked meals) and my baking soda shower was making my hair greasy.
My inner pendulum was swinging out of control. But I have to admit, this wasn't because it was too difficult to maintain a an E standard of living while moving, it was because it was much more fun to let it swing back and forth a little and be a little lazy. Of course, my goal is to live up to the standard that I set for myself and so although Ifailed this test, I am giving myself another shot.
Now, I am back on track. We are almost fully moved and Pete even fixed the stove (without it blowing up!). I walked to get my groceries the other day and plan to make a yummy dish with the giant zucchinis from Mr. Buteras's garden.
No comments:
Post a Comment